Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Another night as a kitchen maid, but at least I'm not playing waitress

There was another dinner party, and while Christine asked if I would mind staying late to help (asked this time, instead of just telling me she thought it would be good if I helped), she did not ask me to leave the kitchen, so she obviously remembered the whole "domestic servant" conversation we had.  She's being a good sport, so I can play ball too, but I had no qualms helping myself to some baguette and a bit of wine while I sat in the (quiet) kitchen alone. These French people know what's up.  I left with a healthy buzz and from the sound of it so did most of the guests so I guess we all had a good night.

Day 22: Alex et moi at Le Tribal Cafe.
Anyway, Saturday I went to this place called the Tribal Cafe, which I had read about online but had never been to.  I got off the metro and Alex was not there yet, and the place was a little sketchy (we found the Paris hood, apparently...on the bright side I found a nice place to get some weave).  He got there a few minutes later and we found this place in some alleyway, and there were only 2 other people there.  However, the drinks were pretty cheap (3.50 normally, 2.50+ during happy hour, which we were right on time for).  Around 8:30-8:45 the place started to fill up, and at 9 pm they started passing out silverware and napkins for the free plate of chicken and cous cous they give out every Friday and Saturday night with a drink purchase.  Wednesday and Thursday it's moules-frites (mussels and french fries, weird I know).  I don't know how they make money like this, but we left full and happy.  I'll definitely be coming back on future Saturdays, and the rest of the week for vacations (food gets a little expensive when I'm not eating with the family during vacations).  Note to self (and others): Kir = pink wine, not beer.  A little sweet for my taste, but not awful, especially not for 2.50 euros a glass.


Day 23: La Defense from the Arc de Triomphe
Sunday the weather was gross and so I avoided going outside.  I meant to take my picture of the day at the bar for the Packers game (it was packed...no pun intended) but I forgot to, I guess I'll have to save that for the superbowl party in a few weeks.  Anyway, since I missed my photo op, I cheated a bit, and I'm using a photo from the day I climbed the Arc de Triomphe, but it is still relevant. The view is along the Axe Historique, to my 2 next stops on the photo journey: Palais des Congrès (near the green patch) and the Grande Arch de La Defense (the big square, they call that an "arch"...thank you, 1980s).  So forgive my slacking, but sometimes bad weather permits it.

All in all, that's all the news. I already put my camera away so I'll load today's picture later. It's late and I've discovered a new website called ShoeDazzle.com that, for obvious reasons, demands my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment