Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2 steps forward, 1 step back

...meaning that just as I was impressed that I was not asked to wait tables, I was asked to do the Boy's homework for him.  I think I mostly got out of it by saying something along the lines of "If you really think that's what's best for your son then I can't tell you differently, but I think reading his book for him and underlining the parts that answer his homework questions is a bit over the top."  Besides, turns out most of the questions are opinion questions anyway.  I could answer them very elaborately and with vocab that is over his head, maybe the teacher will catch on...or maybe in France this doesn't count as cheating.  Crazy people.

Anyway, here are pictures from the last 2 days:
Day 24: Palais des Congrès, which has nothing to do with Congress. 
Day 24: 1-24-11 (happy birthday mom!)

First there is the Palais des Congrès, which, surprisingly to me, has nothing to do with Congress but is in fact a concert venue and convention center.  It is also massive and that combined with the small park across the street with trees on all sides prevented me from getting a shot of the whole thing.  It's pretty ugly anyway.  It does sit pretty well between the Arc de Triomphe and La Defense, serving as a "modern meets classic" segue for leaving Paris and entering the ultra-modern business district of La Defense to the west.  I am, however, removing it from my Axe Historique lineup because it is neither historic or significant as a monument and was rather disappointing.  That'll show them...

Day 25: TV/"Arch" of La Defense, last on my Axe Historique project.
Today was La Defense, more specifically La Grande Arche de La Defense.  It's actually a square, not an arch, but the line on the concrete down the middle illustrates the axis.  It's actually about 6 degrees off because the metro/RER station underneath prevented the foundations from being placed directly in line, which interestingly mirrors the slight angle of the Louvre on the other end.  Also, note the grisaille Parisienne that Parisan winters are so famous for.  It's not getting depressing in the slightest bit...


Oh, and I might have lost the family's apartment key, although I really think I left it at their apartment so if it disappeared from there it's their own fault (I tell myself).  Keys here are really strange and seem like they'd be expensive to replace...oh dear.

On the bright side, if one can be found in this dismal weather, happy birthday Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much. Sorry about the flap over the keys. Hope it turns out well. Love, your (now a year older) mother

    ReplyDelete