Monday, November 29, 2010

I legitimately don't know why I'm here.

The title says it all.  Not to say that I don't enjoy being here, I'm really starting to like Paris, at least when I don't have to stay outside in the cold for extended periods of time.  I mean it in the sense that the woman I work for should not by any reason or logic need me.  She is a stay-at-home mom, and in addition to me, she has also employed a woman who cooks lunch and sometimes dinner and cleans the apartment 4 days a week, and a woman who does homework with her daughter for an hour 6 days a week and her son 2 days.  She doesn't clean, she cooks less than half the meals we eat, and I share responsibility for her children every week night and 5 hours on weekends.  What in the world does she do with her time?

Also, my job is apparently not limited to caring for the kids.  Sometime this week I am expected to come 2 hours early to change the dates on hundreds of brochures she has printed for an event that her "association" is organizing.  She doesn't work, she doesn't cook, she doesn't clean, her only apparent job is to organize this event, and she can't even manage that without paying someone to do the work for her?  I am taking 2 days off this weekend to go to Athens, so I can't exactly complain about the extra hours, but I was not aware that my job also included secretary work (and this is not the first time I've made spreadsheets, stuffed envelopes, etc. for her "event").

I have a few theories for how she spends her time.  1) She is having an affair. (Quelle scandale!)  2) She is trafficking drugs for the mob.  3) She is an undercover nazi.  I mean, her husband did sell his "orange juice company" to Germans and now spends several days a week in Germany for "business."  It could work.

But, if nothing else, I have further evidence for why I tend to dislike the children of stay-at-home moms (Wilson family exluded).

Oh, and P.S. - if this woman says one more thing about "when you have your own children" I might just have to (tactfully) let her know that her children are severely decreasing the probability of that ever actually happening.  As if it needed to be decreased in the first place.

EDIT: my mother's comment to this post, via email (just thought it was hilarious enough to share):

"If any of your 3 suspicions  are correct, and anyone finds out you have them, you could be 1) without a job, 2) at the bottom of the Seine with concrete shoes or 3) a POW in a very uncomfortable living situation.  I hope they don't know you have a blog...Love, Mom"

No comments:

Post a Comment